Every year world leaders and others gather in New York during September to attend the General Assembly High-level Week.
The UN General Assembly is one of the main bodies of the United Nations. It is the only UN forum in which all member states receive equal representation, and as such it is the main debating chamber of the UN.
KEY EVENTS 2023
- 18-19 September – 2023 SDG Summit will mark the half-way point to the deadline set for achieving the 2030 Agenda and the Sustainable Development Goals. Click here to see the draft Political Declaration due to be adopted at the Summit.
- 19 September – UN Global Compact Leaders Summit – business leaders, UN officials, Government leaders, SDG stakeholders and civil society will review the private sector’s contribution to advancing the SDGs. It will be broadcast live here.
- 19-26 September – General Debate, where Heads of State and Government explore solutions to the intertwined global challenges under the theme: “Rebuilding trust and reigniting global solidarity: Accelerating action on the 2030 Agenda and its SDGs towards peace, prosperity, progress and sustainability for all’.
- 20 September – Climate Ambition Summit, hosted by the UN Secretary-General, aims to accelerate action by governments, business, finance, local authorities and civil society.
- 20 September – High-Level Meeting on Pandemic Prevention, Preparedness and Response (PPPR) organised following calls in 2022 in light of the Covid-19 pandemic, where states will meet to advance a political declaration aiming at “mobilizing political will at the national, regional and international levels for pandemic prevention, preparedness and response”.
- 20 September – High-Level Dialogue on Financing for Development, Chaired by the PGA, is an opportunity for states and stakeholders to announce new commitments and initiatives that could accelerate progress on the 2030 Agenda.
- 21 September – High-Level Meeting on Universal Health Coverage, will serve as the foundation for executing policies and ensuring responsibility for strengthening health systems for the future, building on the 2019 Political Declaration.
- 21 September – Preparatory ministerial meeting for the Summit of the Future.
- 22 September – High-level meeting on the fight against tuberculosis will focus on advancing science, finance and innovation to urgently end the global tuberculosis epidemic.
- 26 September – High-level plenary meeting to commemorate and promote the International Day for the Total Elimination of Nuclear Weapons.
You can find a comprehensive list of all the meetings taking place here.
To follow the up-to-date schedule of daily meetings, check out the UN Journal, which is updated every morning.